“Courage” is an international Catholic apostolic outreach to persons with same-sex attraction (resources). It was begun in 1980 in the Archdiocese of New York. However, persons with homosexual desires have always been with us; until recent times, there has been little, if any, formal outreach from the Church in the way of support groups or information for such persons. Most were left to work out their path on their own. As a result some found themselves listening to and accepting the secular society’s perspective and opting to act on their same-sex desires. Others are looking to the Church for guidance and support.
Being a family in the current age can be a challenge. To help address some of the issues that families face today, “Courage” is now available in the Fargo-Moorhead area (contact information is listed below), to assist Catholics with same-sex attraction to live their life in accord with the Catholic teaching on the meaning of human sexuality and chastity.
The following five goals of Courage were created by the members themselves, when Courage was founded. Members are called to practice them in their daily lives:
- To live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality (Chastity).
- To dedicate our entire lives to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacrament of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist (Prayer and Dedication).
- To foster a spirit of fellowship in which we may share with one another our thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone (Fellowship).
- To be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life; and to encourage one another in forming and sustaining these friendships (Support).
- To live lives that may serve as good examples to others (Good Example/Role Model).
Contact Information in Fargo-Moorhead
If you or someone you know area suffers with same-sex attraction and may be interested in participating in Courage in the Fargo (ND) / Moorhead (MN) area, please refer them to the following contact information: 701-356-7960. E-mail: fargomoorheadcourage(at)gmail(dot)com. (All contacts are kept confidential.)
Visit the national Courage website at couragerc.net. Here are some resources which are available: